This post does contain affiliate links but is not sponsored by anyone. These are all my own thoughts, ideas and comparisons. Thanks for reading my How to Curly Hair and How to Curly Girl Method.
I am so excited to share my tricks and tips on How to Wash Your Hair Curly Girl Method! I've been doing CGM for a little over a year and during this time I found my perfect products and routine. I wash every Monday…crazy I know. Routine and consistency are where it's at. Oh, and I am a 2C/3A curl!
How I Wash My Hair using CGM
How To Curly Hair: I gather my products first. To see what I use keep reading and click here to order on Amazon. I grab my washing products, comb, brush and microfiber towel so they are handy. I hop in and get my hair wet with warm water like normal people.
IF THIS IS YOUR VERY 1ST WASH, YOU MUST STRIP YOUR HAIR THOROUGHLY WITH DAWN SOAP OR THE LIKE. YOU MUST HAVE A FRESH START! ALSO DON'T DESPAIR, THE START IS THE HARDEST.
Curly Hair How To Wash and Dry
How to Wash Your Hair Curly Girl Method
- Shampoo your hair
I have a TON of very long hair so scrubbing my scalp and roots is a must. So I use cheap CGM approved shampoos but my favorite right now is Not Your Mother’s Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower & Mango Butter Curl Shampoo and I focus on only my scalp and roots trying not to separate the curls. Rinse like normal.
- Squish to Condish
Next, I use my DevaCurl Zero Lather Conditioning Cleanser and I put it on my hair and on my scalp standing upright, once it's distributed I flip my hair upside (with my face looking at my knees) and repeat. I squish to condish then grab my wide tooth comb and comb out all the tangles. Next, I brush my hair out with my Denman brush to create clumps. This is where my special drain comes in handy. Hair will be everywhere so I clean it up as I go by rolling it into balls to track shedding. Once all tangles are out, I rinse lightly using praying hands and the showerhead lightly. Some of the cleansers will still be in my hair when I end this step.
- Condish again, then rinse
3rd I grab my DevaCurl One Condition Hair Conditioner and I put the conditioner in being very generous and putting it everywhere except my scalp. I try to stay hanging upside down as much as possible from this point on. Next, I rinse by placing water in my hands and using praying hands. I do not rinse with the showerhead. My goal is not to rinse all the conditioner out, just the excess.
- Squeeze out excess water
Lastly, I grab my DevaCurl towel and while still hanging upside (or side to side) scrunch and lightly squeeze the excess water out. I only want to remove the excess, not dry my hair in the How to Wash Your Hair Curly Girl Method.
- Begin styling
Now we are ready to add products and style (which is shown in the video above).
Curly Girl Terms to Know:
- Squish to Condish is when you squish your conditioner into your hair. Using both hands while hanging upside down, from the bottom up towards your scalp your hand scrunch product in.
- Praying Hands – you will hear this most when rinsing your product out. While hanging upside down cup your hands (that look like they are praying but they are open like a bowl) and fill them with water. Take that water and squish into your hair or place your hair into the water in your hand. Do not rinse your hair traditionally.
- Protein Overload – when the moisture/protein balance in your hair has come unbalanced. Too much protein in hair feels coated/dry & brittle. It's also more susceptible to shedding & breakage.
- Low Porosity – the structure of your hair doesn't easily allow moisture to be absorbed into your hair shaft. This will make it harder for water to saturate your hair.
- Scrunching – lift from the bottom of hair towards the scalp with hands. Adds volume & definition, adds bounce & reduces frizz.
- Raking – pull fingers through your hair from the scalp down to bottoms. Detangles & distributes product evenly.
- Pulsing – squeezing the hair while it’s piled in your hands. A lot like Squish to Condish.
Unboxing & Sharing about My Products
Curly Hair Tips & Tricks:
- The goal is to start making curl clumps. So, everything you do is about scrunching your hair and not breaking the curls you are making.
- And you will hang upside down and side to side a lot while washing.
- Washing at first takes a while, but once you catch your flow it is fast and you do it less often.
- Avoid glycerin if you live in humid areas, glycerin will absorb the moisture in the air and make your hair yuck quick.
- Heat or Not to Heat, this is the question. I use light heat when diffusing and warm water when washing. I just can't give it up!
- Non-negotiables IMO, you must avoid Sulfates – namely sodium lauryl sulfate & ammonium laureth sulfate, Non-water soluble silicones, Alcohol, and Fragrance.
- Thank you for reading my How to Wash Your Hair Curly Girl Method
See More Curly Hair Tips Here: