This post does contain affiliate links and is sponsored. These are all my own thoughts, ideas, and comparisons. Thanks for reading about Online Summer Camps – iD Tech Review.
WHAT A YEAR YOU GUYS! COVID has brought out the very best and the very worst in this momma. I have been so proud of how flexible and creative I have been during this time but I have also been so embarrassed at my lack of patience and clarity as well. Once we survived the remainder of long-distance learning I started to realized ALL of the Summer Camps I signed my kids up for were going to be canceled. Happily, I can say, this is one of my “best” moments and I got to researching.
While trying to decide what the heck my kids were going to be doing this Summer iD Tech contacted me and we were given the opportunity to check them out. What is iD Tech? iD Tech is a leader in summer STEM education programs for kids ages 7–19. Their mission is to develop and deliver the highest quality, most inspiring, and inventive technology experiences to the next generation of visionaries—one kid at a time. And to ensure a healthy and safe summer, they are offering online summer camps! We hopped on their website and quickly my oldest, who is 8 years old, found 2 camps she wanted to do. After much deliberating she chose to sign up for the Roblox Obby Camp. There are so many more to choose from like Minecraft, Scratch, Java, Adobe, AutoDesk, and more. I love that they offer safe social interaction for kids who have STEM interests!
Tips from Mom:
- Set up a quiet space where your kiddo feels free to chat with the other students and teacher
- Get your kiddo familiar with playing their favorite game from a computer, not just a phone or tablet
- Encourage them to speak up, ask questions and have fun
- If possible, provide 2 connected devices or dual screens for your kiddo. This is not required but adds to the fun.
- Don't hover, the iD Tech teachers are awesome! Use this time they are busy for you!
Tips from my 8 Year Old:
- Some hard work but it is amazing and you'll love it.
- You will make friends.
- The teacher was great and it was all girls too!
- Ask all the friends in class their gamer tags so that you can find them on all the games you play together.
Details on the Roblox Obby Class:
The classes vary, so I can only speak specifically to our experience with the Roblox course she took. There were multiple class times per day, we chose the 9 am CST start time. The class goes for 2 hours and is done on a computer. Each class had a max of 5 students. The teacher was female and awesome! And my daughter was in a class of all girls which she thought was so cool to see all these girl gamers. The teacher was creative with taking breaks via scavengers hunts through the house, theme & dress-up days, and more. After class, “homework” or further learning, was available via logging in to the iD Tech site. The site had things she could do to add to her Obby, cool things to try, and fun challenges. The class was Monday – Friday consecutively which meant this momma had time to work. They utilize Zoom to see and speak with your kiddo which my daughter loved. She also has 5 new Roblox friends to play with. All in All, I HIGHLY recommend iD Tech and we are already planning her 2nd class to take….Minecraft.
- Costs: $499.00
- iD Tech Coupon: PINK125 for $125 off your course
- Ages: 7 – 19 years old
- Dates: Structured, weeklong sessions available now in multiple time zones (5 consecutive days, Monday-Friday)
- Plan For: 2 hours of live instruction per day + 2 hours of self-paced project development per day
All in all, we have been so happy with iD Tech and this Online Summer Camps and can't wait for her next camp. iD Tech hires elite, all-adult educators and recruits the same carefully-vetted talent sought by companies like Google, EA, Tesla, and Disney. iD Tech retains the finest staff from their worldwide programs to teach the course and camps online. They also perform meticulous background and reference checks on everyone. And lastly, they employ all-adult instructors (no high schoolers or CITs). For me, these were not big deals, but for my techy hubby, they were. So I am glad iD Tech was all over this. Education and skill advancement from experts during the summer break + Fun while learning all from the safety of our home is something this momma was looking for!