What is the San Antonio Rodeo? Where does it take place? Is it kid friendly? Do I need to buy tickets? What is the difference in the fairgrounds and the concerts? These are just a few of the questions I have received and I wanted to provide some answers.
Keeping You in the Know: I received tickets to the rodeo in exchange for this honest review.
Admission: Fairgrounds Only, buy online or at the gate:
- Adult – $10.00
- Senior Citizen (ages 65 & over) – $5.00
- Children (3 to 12 yrs of age) – $5.00
- Children (2 years old and under) – FREE
- Fairgrounds Season Pass (unlimited fairgrounds admission for 18 days) – $25.00
- Carnival Tickets & Wristbands available
- Military & their families get in free every day
Admission: Concert & Rodeo Seats (which includes the fairgrounds):
- seating areas #200's starting in the $30's per ticket
- seating areas #100's are Season Ticket holders only
- special stage side seating available & are a bit more expensive
San Antonio Rodeo Discount Days: $1 Mondays, $2 Tuesdays, and Military is always free. To see the dates, break out and more click here San Antonio Rodeo coupons
Parking: the average lot is $10 surrounding and at the AT&T Center, the up front parking is $25, they do have handicap parking. Via Park & Ride is available. Click here to see the schedule for 2020.
Location: San Antonio AT&T Center
San Antonio Rodeo Information
Who You're Supporting & Why: The San Antonio Rodeo, also known as San Antonio Livestock show, is an 18 day long fundraiser and celebration! The success of the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo is attributed to over 6,000 volunteers who give countless hours to the organization. With community, donor and volunteer support, the organization has donated more than $198 million to the youth of Texas through scholarships, grants, endowments, junior livestock auctions, youth western art auction, calf scramble program and show premiums.
There are 2 parts to the SATX Rodeo: the Fairgrounds & the Rodeo with Concerts. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GO TO BOTH! They are separate.
The San Antonio Rodeo Fairgrounds: Plan a day and go to the rodeo Fairgrounds and bring the kids! They have SOOOOOO many kid based activities and they give away tons of snacks. Click to see the San Antonio Rodeo Family Friendly Attractions. These are my kids favorite parts! Then click to see the SATX Rodeo Family Entertainment. And they have a FABULOUS petting zoo! You can easily spend an entire day at the rodeo fairgrounds just participating in the cost free activities!
They also have food, very fun and yummy food, across the grounds. Click to see the Rodeo Food Line Up. If you REALLY want to make a day of it, choose one of the San Antonio Rodeo Special Days and go to church at the rodeo or participate in the Trail Ride. Then the shopping is AMAZING! I love this part because all the stores I love and more are right here at my fingertips. One stop shopping at it's greatest! My Favs: Something New Jewelry Cleaner & Farmhouse Market! Then, of course, they have the carnival!
The San Antonio Rodeo & Concert: This is a separate event from the fairgrounds which I don't think most people realize. The 1st 2 hours are the rodeo then the concert follows. So if you want to skip the rodeo and just attend the concert, you can! And visa versa! Check out the San Antonio Rodeo Concert line up.
Seating Advice: We attended the rodeo and concert in 2018 and 2019. In 2019 we sat in the seats in the 100's in friend's season tickets seats and they were great. Amazing views, not too high, easy and fun. In 2018 the rodeo gave me tickets in the 200's (yep nose bleeds area) in exchange for this post and guess what y'all….it was great too! We sat in 216, row 3 and the views were great! All this to say, GO BUY THE TICKETS, it is worth it and I think the seats in the 200's are cheap (like $30 for rodeo & concert).
San Antonio Rodeo Information
Kid Friendly: Yes
Activities: see above where I talk about the Fairgrounds. By day everything is family friendly BUT they also offer Rodeo After Dark.
San Antonio Rodeo Mom Tips:
- Wear closed toe comfy shoes, you will walk alot
- Strollers & Wagons can be rented on site (and aren't allowed in the AT&T center) but you can bring your own to the Fairgrounds
- Plan your events at the beginning when you arrive so that you can make all the show, experiences and more.
- No outside food or drinks allowed (except baby products)
- Bring a cloth bag or complete a survey on site to get a bag because they hand out TONS of snacks and samples
- Bring chapstick
- Seats in the 200's in rows 1-5 are great for the rodeo
Things I Love About the SATX Rodeo:
- Hand sanitizer is everywhere
- If you are on a budget and can only afford the gate ticket you can still go and have a blast. There is so much to do for free!
- There are soooooo many kid and family activities all day.
- They offer discount days to make sure everyone is SATX can go!
- Military is always free!
- Everything is so clean! Trash cans and Recycling everywhere.
- Seating is plentiful if you need to stop and take a break.
- The carnival is a great one! You can buy a ride all day wristband too!
- The rodeo organization loves Jesus!
Check out my Other San Antonio Events
- San Antonio Rodeo – Mom Tips for the Rodeo
- Christmas at the Caverns – San Antonio, TX
- Lucky Arrow Retreat Dripping Springs TX – Travel
- DIY Remodel – When to Hire a Pro Contractor
- How to Visit Aquatica Texas – Aquatica Hacks