What is NIOSA? Where does it take place? Is it kid friendly? And what the heck does NIOSA spell? These are just a few of the questions I have received and I wanted to provide some answers.
Admission: $15 for adults and kids 12 years & under are free
Parking: the average lot around is $25, we parked in the Henry B Gonzalez Garage for $10
Location: La Villita
NIOSA: Night in old San Antonio
Each year the historic downtown village of La Villita takes center stage as 85,000 visitors gather for four nights to celebrate the city’s unique heritage at “A Night in Old San Antonio.” More than 250 elaborately decorated food and drink booths and more than a dozen nonstop entertainment stages represent the diverse cultures and customs of our city in 15 heritage-themed areas.
NIOSA® proceeds help fund the San Antonio Conservation Society’s purpose to preserve and to encourage the preservation of historic buildings, objects, places and customs relating to the history of Texas, its natural beauty and all that is admirably distinctive to our State; and by such physical and cultural preservation to keep the history of Texas legible and intact to educate the public, especially the youth of today and tomorrow with knowledge of our inherited regional values.
What is NIOSA
Kid Friendly: Yes but arrive early because it does get crowded quick & I have been told Thursday is college night so perhaps avoid that day
- Walking around visiting the 15 different areas based on the history of San Antonio (German, Western, French quarter, South of the Border, etc)
- Arts and Crafts booths
- Lots and Lots of yummy food that varies based on the era you are in
- PREPARADAS (for adults only and they change based on what area you are in)
- Watch the performances in each era, they have dancers, bands, karaoke and more
- Trade Medals and take photos
- Sit out and enjoy the riverwalk and river boats
- Tickets are $1 each and it takes about 7 tickets on average for food and drinks
- Wear closed toe comfy shoes for sure, very dusty
- Arrive early so that you can enjoy it before its too crowded to walk
- No outside food or drink permitted
- Bring hand wipes and antibacterial
- Wagons and Stroller prohibited
- Diaper bags and large carry-all bags are prohibited
My Tips to NIOSA:
- Perhaps have a family day or a family hour for parent with young kids who want to enjoy the event
- Increase the air flow in the german dance hall, I started feeling weird and light headed so I immediately started heading outside to stop from passing out when the lady beside me passed out
- Offer hand washing or antibacterial cleaner near food stations
And my overall is FOR Fiesta's NIOSA!!!! We will definitely go back.
Check out my other Fiesta Reviews
- What is the Battle of Flowers Parade – Fiesta 2018
- What is the Texas Cavalier River Parade – Fiesta 2018
- What is Festival de Animales – Fiesta 2018
- What is Flambeau – Fiesta 2018
- What is the King William Parade & Fair – Fiesta 2018
- What is NIOSA – Fiesta 2018
- Charreada – Fiesta 2018
- Viva Botanica – Fiesta 2018
- What is A Taste of New Orleans – Fiesta 2018
- What is Oyster Bake – Fiesta 2018
- What is Alamo Heights Night – Fiesta 2018
- What is Fiesta Fiesta – Fiesta 2018 Launch Party
- What is Fiesta in San Antonio TX?
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.