Oh how we love the Houston Zoo!
When our oldest was born we went to the zoo all the time, the 1st year when we were in the DFW area we went to their 2 zoos and we loved them, each unique and fun (Dallas Zoo vs Ft Worth Zoo). Then we moved to Houston when she turned 1 and have been visiting the Houston Zoo ever since. During these trips as a mom of now 2 kiddos (3 yrs & 5 yrs) I have created my very own Tips and Tricks on Visiting the Houston Zoo. I also have found when to go to the Houston Zoo to be a very critical thing to prep for. Here are some of my notes.
When to arrive at the Houston Zoo
Sundays: 9am-11am with 1-4pm being the busiest times
Mondays: all day is typically slower with 11am-2pm being the busiest time
Tuesdays: 9am-11am with 1-4pm being the busiest time
Wednesdays: all day is typically slower with 11am-3pm being the busiest time
Thursdays: 9am-11am or 3pm to 6pm
Fridays: 9am-11am or 3pm to 6pm
Saturdays: DON'T GO UNLESS YOU HAVE TO and arrive at 9am
**Zoo Members get to enter at 8am and beat the crowds
Tips and Tricks on Visiting the Houston Zoo
- Arrive Early – parking is free & fills up quickly OR Arrive Late – one hour before closing during the week*
- Summer Only – There is a splash pad during the summer so bring kids swim wear
- Pack an ice chest with drinks and food and snacks and eat at the many picnic tables
- Wagons and Strollers are welcome, very family friendly
- Dress Smart – walking shoes and layers that can be added and removed
- When you arrive go straight to the back (aka: The Children's area) because normal guests and field trips will start at the beginning and work their way back
- Visit on a rainy day & take advantage of all the indoor exhibits & no crowds
- Fields Trips are during the week, mainly in the Spring between 9am & 2pm
- After the zoo visit Hermann Park, ride the train & take advantage of a parked car & lots near by
- They are a part of the Associates of Zoos & Aquariums so you get discounts when you attend other city zoos and aquariums just by showing your Houston Zoo pass!
*If you visit alot (or plan to) buy a membership, we have the Family Membership at the Houston Zoo. There are ALOT of perks like entrance to special events, discounts on the carousel, discounts in gift shops and more!
When to go to the Houston Zoo – Hours of Operation 9am – 7pm, gates close at 6pm though BUT Members get to enter early at 8am!
If your biking in, Ubering in, need parking info, Metro info, Address, Maps and more please visit The Houston Zoo.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.